- 1 pound ground turkey or ground
- 1 lb dried pinto beans
- 1/2 coarsely chopped onion
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa, your
- 3 teaspoons chili powder (vary
according to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse beans thoroughly. Place into a large
covered dish or pot, more than large enough to hold all of the
ingredients mentioned above, and cover them with water to twice the
depth of the beans. Place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- After the beans have soaked 24 hours, drain them,
then place back into the pot.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes, and mix them, and the
rest of the ingredients except for the meat, into the pot with the
- Break the meat into small chunks and brown it
lightly. Mix into the pot with the rest of the ingredients.
- Place all ingredients into the crock pot. Add
enough water to just cover the contents. Cook
on Low for 8 hours / overnight.
- Add further salt and pepper to taste.
- Serves a family for 2-3 nights.