- 16 oz bag of mixed dried beans
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 lb fresh tomatoes, diced (or canned diced
tomatoes, without seasoning)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp fine black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Rinse beans thoroughly
- Place beans into pot, covered by water to twice the
volume of the beans. Bring to boil.
- At the same time, bring a second pot of water to a
boil, enough to cover the beans to twice their volume.
- As soon as the pot of beans comes to a boil, strain
out the water, and add the second pot of boiling water to the beans
(make sure there is really enough water to cover them to twice their
volume). Bring this pot to a boil, then turn off, cover, and
leave sitting out overnight.
- For safety, be sure to put in the fridge first thing
in the morning.
- Next night, dice the onions and carrots, and
sauteé for 5-10 minutes
- Combine the beans and water and sauteéd
onions and carrots. Assure that contents are covered by water 2-3 times
the volume of the ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil, then set to a
simmer, still covered. Cook until the beans are tender (1 hour or
more). Some beans will take longer to soften than others, so
check the different types of beans.
- When beans are soft, add the diced tomatoes.
Continue cooking covered on low simmer for another hour or so.
- Will serve a family for 2-3 nights.
Thanks to a very
special friend for this one :)