- 1/2 cup pearl barley, soaked
- 2 lb lamb shanks or similar, with bones
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup turnips or rutabagas
- 1 cup parsnips
- 1 cup celery
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- bay leaf
- 10 cups cold water
the barley overnight, in the refrigerator. Make sure it has at
least 2 inches of water above it.
- Quarter one of the onions.
- Place the quartered onion, lamb, and peppercorns
into a large pot, and cover them with the water. Bring slowly to
a boil, then to a low simmer.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours, stirring
occasionally. If a layer of persistent foam develops, skim it off
- Remove as much meat as possible from the bone(s),
break or cut into 1/2-inch long pieces, and return to the pot
- Drain the barley. Add it and all the
other ingredients to the pot.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then a low simmer.
- Cover the pot and simmer for another 60-90 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until barley and carrots are tender.